Monday, June 24, 2013

Florida Botanical Gardens


Pond at Florida Botanical Gardens in Largo


Today was the day I chose to visit the Florida Botanical Gardens in Largo, FL. I had gotten there about midday and had all sorts of grandiose plans for shooting an array of pictures. I had sorely underestimated how incredibly hot and humid it truly is outside, even in the shade. I managed to get a nice group of shots of various things in the park but the heat was just killing me. (Note to self-the next time I do this, I'm going to go in the winter when the weather is a bit more agreeable.) Luckily for me however was that it being a Monday, the place was not swamped with people. The only other people I actually did see was the groundskeepers and a man and woman who appeared to be there for the same purpose that I was, judging by their cameras and the enormous lenses attached to each. 

Despite the heat, the Florida Botanical Gardens are just beautiful. The pathways are kept clean at all times and free of debris. Every plant, flower and tree had a small placard in front of it which told the name of the species. There are also plenty of fountains and brooks flowing throughout the park. Some are man-made and the others are a bit more natural. 


The above is a shot of a small brook and pool. 

Everywhere I stood or walked, I could hear the clear crystal sounds of water bubbling, flowing or otherwise jetting out of a fountain. There is something incredibly healing about the sound of water whether it's moving slowly or pounding surf. 


One of the fountains within the Gardens


There's a fountain behind this greenery


View of McKay's Creek 

I love how everything is so vibrant and green within the confines of this little slice of heaven within an urban area. When I was walking through here, I could hear the cars out on the road but it was more of a sense of 'white noise' and after a while, I just stopped hearing that and focused on the sounds of water and nature. 



The above is a photo of the cactus and succulent garden


Shot of pond through building archway


 The above photo is the Cottage Garden


Planters and one of the buildings on the premises


The above quote was etched into one of the walkways

I'm happy that I did get the photos I wanted to but the heat index just did me in. The next time I visit the gardens, I intend to do so when the weather is much cooler. 



No comments:

Post a Comment